Lutheran Adoption Service is a jointly owned subsidiary corporation of Samaritas (formerly Lutheran Social Services of Michigan) and Wellspring Lutheran Services (formerly Lutheran Child and Family Services of Michigan). Both agencies handled adoptions individually in Michigan for many years. In 1977, the agencies agreed to join forces in order to provide more loving, forever homes for children in foster care who needed permanent placement. Since its partnership inception, LAS has found homes for thousands of Michigan foster care youth.
Lutheran Adoption Service specializes in the placement of children from the State’s foster care system. Many children in foster care need permanent adoptive homes. There is little or no cost involved in adopting a child from the foster care system.
With the recent coronavirus cases being identified in Michigan, Samaritas and Lutheran Adoption Service are taking extra precautions to help keep our children, families and teams safe. We want to assure you of the following:
- Our support to you is a critical priority! We want to make every effort to assure the safety and well-being of everyone. Please reach out to your worker or local office is you have any questions.
- We will be contacting you prior to a home visit with you, to ask questions about your health (and that of your family members) prior to visiting at your home. We will also ask these questions of you if you visit a Samaritas office. We know that extra health precautions during this time are important in curbing the spread of coronavirus. Please do not take this personally but as a precautionary measure to curb the spread of the virus.
- Our offices will be supplied with hand sanitizer and wipes; we encourage hand washing often throughout the day, and prior to entry into an office. Surfaces in our offices and visit spaces (work areas, common areas, toys and equipment) will be cleaned multiple times daily.
- If you are feeling ill or display symptoms (respiratory infection such as cough, fever, sore throat or shortness of breath) we ask that you not come to an office and contact your healthcare provider.
- Large meetings and gatherings will be suspended until Friday, April 3 in an effort to socially isolate from large groups.
We continue to monitor coronavirus updates via the CDC and will communicate with you as needed. Here are a few helpful links with information:
COVID-19: Know the Facts
Official Coronavirus Website
Michigan Coronavirus Website
Thank you for all you do in your work and interaction with LAS!